Wednesday, March 30, 2011
was pleasantly surprised.
now am faced with a decision I didn't want in the first place.
but it's okay, because the decision is between two good things and not two bad things :)
And they have a Tea Appreciation Society. How cool.
Bad: The tea I was drinking was caffeinated (and caffeine does bad things to me)
Good: I got a bunch of college mail, and I was accepted at 7/8 schools applied to!
Bad: The 8th (waitlisted) was my top choice. sigh.
Good: Some great small group discussion
Bad: Some *interesting* phone conversation... -.0
Thank You for the trials
For the fire, for the pain
Thank You for the strength
Knowing You have ordained
- Sovereign Grace Music
(before you yell at me for having an uneven number of good/bad, remember this is an OPTIMISM initiative. not perfectionism. I don't need that one :P)
Monday, March 28, 2011
Sunday, March 27, 2011
Saturday, March 26, 2011
Thursday, March 24, 2011
Also, my fears that Christine had been swept into the Bermuda Triangle and lost forever were assuaged. :D
Also, I love fairy tales. I mean, just listen to how this one starts... "In the old times, when it was still of some use to wish for the thing one wanted, there lived a king whose daughters were all handsome, but the youngest was so beautiful that the sun himself, who has seen so much, wondered at her beauty each time he shone over her."
Also, Alexis de Tocqueville is TOTALLY making my thesis. He and Emerson.
Wednesday, March 23, 2011
- Went on a treasure hunt in my basement for mom's Till We Have Faces. After digging through all of our old boxes, we never found it, but we DID find some other awesome things... including a bunch of my mom's literature essays from high school... I know what I'm going to be reading tomorrow :)
- ...and OHMYGOODNESS...! Antique books make me happy. Found some GREAT old volumes of fairy tales by the Brothers Grimm and Hans Christian Anderson in the mess of the boxes. With gorgeous pen & ink and watercolor illustrations. I am, like, in love.
Also... it's interesting. Interesting how, when it storms, the sky stays brighter long after sunset. It's like the light particles are trapped up in the clouds and reflecting back to Earth, and so even though the rain might be inherently dreary, there's something beautiful about it. And whenever the wind blows, you know it's not only blowing you and your hair around... it's blowing the clouds away, and after a strong gust of wind you can be assured that it's only moving you closer to the warmth of the sun.
Also interesting how much I am loving 1 Peter right now. Had never read it with a pen before, and now I'm underlining pretty much the whole thing to the point of uselessness.
Tuesday, March 22, 2011
It began quite poorly (see: 1st period math.)
Then it got slightly better (see: Latin test postponed to Thursday!)
Then it got like EPIC BETTER (see: writing thesis, in a porch chair, outside, in my happy skirt.)
Then it got like EVEN BETTER (see: I <3 small group)
and now I am tired but happy.
and tomorrow and Thursday I am taking Lent a bit further. just to test. I will be on an unimportant-email fast. That is, any email that:
- is not work, school, or college
- does not have the word URGENT in the subject line
- is not from Christine
(read: Christine, get thyself some internet!!!!)
This also applies to chat.
Goals and structure make me happy. :D
Monday, March 21, 2011
Of course, if yesterday was epic, today was more like epic fail... c.f. integration by parts and transcendental functions. For a grand total of 3.75 hours today, I did math. Let's just say my last homework was covered in blank spaces and angry emoticons, like >.< and >:(
But ne'ertheless, I did smile today... Lit class was good, as was planning for the graduation ceremony-thing. And neighbor-Megan's cheesecake... YUM. and the crunchy black potatoes :P
Saturday, March 19, 2011
- In the realization that I might have to get a 40-hour-a-week job over the summer... how crazy is it that I have not had to work a "real" job during the school year through all of high school?
- In missing Christine... how beautiful of a thing is it that I can even talk to her on email, let alone (soon!) phone and video chat? And how awesome that I have friends like her, who I actually like well enough to miss (I'm talking to you, Megan and Rachel...) when we're away for just a few months?
- In driving to a remote (and smelly) branch of the library to get materials for my thesis... how amazing is it that I have never once crashed or hit anybody while driving? And how great is it that my branch of the library does not smell like cows and gasoline?
- In reading one of my thesis books and finding lots of quotes by Marcel Marceau and actually knowing who he is and wondering why he is in a book about animation... how blessed have I been to get to be involved in such an amazingly artsy and colorful and non-cookie-cutter church, with all its activities? And how wonderful is it that I can still become close to people in those activities and work my way into their "circles" even if I don't really participate myself?
- In actually working on my thesis... how cool is it that I get to do this before I even know where I'm going to college? And really, I know I talk about it a lot. But I've decided I shan't anymore. It's just another five-page paper every week, pretty much, that I have similar motivation to complete as any other paper. Which means I don't always want to do it, but so what? I don't need to gripe about it. Please slap me on the back of the hand with a ruler if I complain from now on. 'Kay?
Thursday, March 17, 2011
Wednesday, March 16, 2011
Tuesday, March 15, 2011
today was kinda fantastic. longlonglonglong, but fantastic.
Best part: skipping around the campus, barefoot, and throwing tennis balls "borrowed" from the woods behind the tennis courts at each other.
Oh, and hearing the first few chords of what I believe was a Rachmaninoff prelude (I know I have it on my iPod. but I am too tired to look it up) from the piano solo room.
And Doug. haha. And hiding out in the storage room playing Liar... and finding out it was apparently off-limits.
Monday, March 14, 2011
Sunday, March 13, 2011
Saturday, March 12, 2011
In 2010 I received approximately 3.28 times the number of emails I received in 2009.
I received 1800 emails in 2009.
You do the math.
It's kind of sad.
But kind of happy, because I like email.
I also did some spring cleaning of my room. But not really. I cleaned it just enough that it isn't annoying, but there is something comforting about walking into a slightly cluttered room. :)
...did you notice I said "spring cleaning"?!
Because I am WILLING Spring into reality. And today I did my homework outside, in my militant-fairy skirt and bare feet. (and apple slices with cream cheese dip... thank you Kristen!!!!)
Also, I got new glasses! that I actually like!
Also, it was the first Saturday without internet... which was kind of miserable, but I suppose it's supposed to be. I only accidentally clicked my Facebook bookmark out of habit once, but I was logged out so I caught myself :P
Thursday, March 10, 2011
also, was in Joann Fabrics and heard Eet on the radio. lovelovelove.
also, watched the first half of Fantasia... Disney representation of the beginning of the world is HILARIOUS. and so, so, so scientifically inaccurate for 70 years later, it is not even funny. Actually, it kind of is. very funny.
I think I might be morphing into a morning person. this scares me.
Wednesday, March 9, 2011
I finished my Latin work for this chapter... no weekend homework!
I got some serious stuff done on my thesis.
I spent time with my family.
I finished my Physics.
I made *secret* decisions about a certain birthday present... ;)
And I got an awesome letter from University of Richmond telling me I will, I quote, "likely" be accepted. haha.
Tuesday, March 8, 2011
Monday, March 7, 2011
Sunday, March 6, 2011
Saturday, March 5, 2011
was on the sewing machine for 5 hours.
then decorated and socialized and danced for another 6.
it was fun.
but my legs hurt.
Caleb danced! As did Wesley! And Mrs. Bond! I am proud of them.
and good to see Sandy :)
Friday, March 4, 2011
However, I did begin the top for my Sock Hop dress tonight (YES I KNOW IT'S TOMORROW) and although I was very nervous (never actually made a top that fit well/looked good without a pattern before)... IT WORKED. and the hem I did is nice and even and straight, even though I could not see what I was doing. Maybe I should always sew without glasses/contacts. I hate hemming.
PS- HAHAHAHAHAHA just remembered, FUNNIEST thing all day... while setting up for the Sock Hop, Rachel's little brother Zach goes, "I like Katie best. She's not a perfectionist like you all!" (speaking of Rachel and Megan.)
I am in tears. Rachel is on the floor. Mrs C goes, "Zach, Katie is the worst of the bunch."
And I say, "Well... not everything has to be perfect. But if I deem it must be perfect, it must be VERY perfect."
Mrs C: "The world according to Katie."
PPS- this is not very optimistic, but... in March 2010, there were 9 functioning & active Optimism Initiatives. By mid-April, there were 11. Now? poor, lonely me... okay, and occasionally Colin, and about every three months David. BUT STILL. Did I really initiate a (dare I say it) fad? And did it (oh, it hurts) die?! And if it's dead, why am I still doing it two years later? Because, yes, Wednesday is Ash Wednesday and the internet goes off again (aside from email, and I CAN still do remote-posting through it!)
I think it is going to be hard this year. Last year I just got 20-45 emails/day from various people, but I don't think it will be quite that intense this time around (see: Christine in small-internet land). So I will actually, like, have to find other things to do with myself that do not involve the computer and obsessively clicking the "Get Mail" button. Fascinating. Also, last year I was on chat quite a lot, and this year I have effectively grounded myself from chat after the 5pm on weeknights, which is the time when I am most likely to be looking for distraction.
I think I need to go to bed. Yay ramblings...
Thursday, March 3, 2011
I got a lot of things started but nothing finished... yet...
kinda sorta drives me CRAZY. I like completion, you know? :P
but I woke up this morning after 9 hours of sleep, all on my own, and was actually awake enough to start my math homework at 7 o'clock... ugh. usually a bad idea, but it worked for me this time :)
and got to talk to my dad on the phone; that was nice.
Wednesday, March 2, 2011
this is making math homework difficult.
PS- today was Mr. VanBemmel's last chapel, and we all cried at least a little... but some of the speeches made me laugh. As did his last "rounds" through the classes with his new "language."
("Heidi. Hire yew?" :P )