Saturday, June 12, 2010

Firsts and Lasts...

Well. Today I did/made/had my first:
  • sushi? sushimi?
  • Pork bun... thing
  • experience playing (and losing) Super Smash... something... on Wii
  • cheap oil pastel (aka unsharpened crayon) drawing... thing
  • random stranger say I was hot?
*SIDETRACK*
That was really funny.
Picture this:
I am at my library, walking out of the Reading List section with such wonderful things as Jane Eyre, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, and The Silmarillion.
This random guy (he looked to be about 15) looked up from his computer and says, "hi."
A young boy with him, probably his brother who would be 7 or 8, says, "Well, that was random."
I am about 8 or 9 yards away when I hear, "She's hot!"
The younger boy, obviously mortified and much more sensible, urgently says something under his breath.
His brother responds in a whisper, still loud and clear, "Yeah, I did say that pretty loud... I wonder if she heard me."
I roll my eyes at this point, but since I have turned the corner into another row of books they cannot see me.


And now for lasts:
  • that was my last time EVER eating those red bean paste things... I'm sorry Sandy, it tasted like styrofoam.
  • this is my last post for a week... I'm off on vacation with my grandparents :)

Kathryne

5 comments:

David said...

have fun with the Silmarillion!!!!

David said...

in fact... I would strongly suggest dropping everything you are doing right this minute and reading the first five-six pages of the silmarillion...it is one of the most amazing passages I have ever read anywhere outside of the Bible.

Katie said...

PROBLEM:
I do not have enough self-control when it comes to books.
FALLOUT:
I would get nothing done tonight if I did that.

however, I will take note of it :P

Colin said...

I agree with David. it is an excellent book, with an even more excellent beginning :)

Katie said...

Oh... my....
I love it. I really do. I spent a very long time wading through all 30+ pages of introductions and prefaces, and now I am moving steadily through the book. The beginning is fabulous, and Tolkien's writing is like nothing I've ever read. I do believe The Hobbit was a bit watered down from this.

Also, for the record, Jane Eyre was very good, too. As was The Bride Collector (Ted Dekker, of course).