Monday, October 4, 2010

Gray Day :)

The Good: These past few days have been decidedly gray. And I like them. It's like The Secret Garden, or those Beatrix Potter videos, or really any film that takes place in premodern Britain. It's quite nice, at least, when I am wearing gloves and a sweater.

The Bad: Math.

The Random: Dug through my computer archives to find something to post on Awesome Possum. Found some surprisingly good poems I wrote in elementary school. I think I was a better poet then than now.

Kathryne


PS~ Lit assignment! it's finished!


From the YouTube description:

This is my first attempt at a semi-surrealist film. It is based on the fifteenth stanza of Walt Whitman's "Song of Myself."

Music is the beginning of Cry of the Heart from Michael W Smith's "Freedom."

EXPLANATION:
As this is surrealist, I cannot fully explain it (*devious laugh*). However, note Whitman's ending comments in stanza XV:
"And these tend inward to me, and I tend outward to them,
And such as it is to be of these more or less I am"
He comes to the forty-six people described in the stanza with open, empty hands. Not one of those forty-six is a poet or anything like Walt Whitman. I think he is trying to make the point that the others mentioned ARE Walt Whitman. And Walt Whitman IS them. He comes with nothing of his own, wanting to absorb the feelings, thoughts, and habits of the others.

No comments: